Monday, June 27, 2011

Some Feminist Reading Perhaps?

Well I’m having a pretty busy day at work (the other legal assistant where I work is on vacation, lucky girl!) so I figured I’d just post some links (feminist links, hooray!) for you all to check out when you had some time.

This is what I’ve been looking at around the interwebs as of late:

As a lot of you probably know it’s Pride Month and also New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the marriage equality bill into law last Friday. So that’s pretty kick ass. But there’s still more to go, as Senator Kirsten Gillibrand points out here.

Then there’s the world according to doucheface, Scott Adams, otherwise known as the man behind Dilbert. Apparently men rape women because it’s a “natural instinct” and it’s all really society’s fault now. Bad society! Oh, but if you don’t get his point you’re just bad at reading comprehension, so there.

Finally, I’ll point you over to HuffPo where Lisa Bloom is talking about her new book, Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed Down World. Really interesting piece.

I hope everyone had a good weekend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Lisa Bloom's piece!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I could just kick a man who thinks that way. Seriously. Today I was reading an Allison Wynn Scotch article that talked about how her boyfriend made her feel like crap for not being a virgin. Who cares that he wasn't one too? Eventually he breaks up with her bc he's got to marry a virgin. Later, they cross paths and he admits to being a total ass. But still, why is there this belief that women are marred by sex? Between being told to look sexy but not too sexy how are girls supposed to figure out anything? It's like they're being told to live for the cameras, for the audience, than for themselves. So frustrating.

bookspersonally said...

Have been so impressed with Sen. Gillibrand. Well said, Jennifer O. llevinso- Going to check out Lisa Bloom's piece, thanks for the tip.

Agrippina Legit said...

Whoa, I'd somehow managed to miss all that about Scott Adams. Won't be reading Dilbert any more! Ugh.

llevinso said...

@treesandink, I know I love it too!

@Jenny, oh wow that is totally frustrating. And unfortunately it is a story I’ve heard WAAAAY too many times before. Do you have the link to that article you were reading? Or was it not online?

@bookspersonally, I have too, which is good because at first I was a bit worried when she took office. Glad she’s proven me wrong.

@Agrippina, don’t worry. I had totally missed all this about him too, until now. Thankfully I was never a Dilbert fan anyway! ;)

Armchair_Archives said...

Great post! Thank goodness I am not a Dilbert fan because I'd have to put a stop to that...I'm spreading the doucheface link everywhere! For those among the male population who feel they cannot control their urge to rape, I recommend a trip to the vet where they'll be happy to neuter males for a fee of, oh, say $100. Great investment, saves on court costs and is the ethical thing to do!