Thursday, June 9, 2011

Me? Buy Books?

Hmm, last time I decided to participate in a blog hop on a Thursday the whole bloggerverse went crazy and then I went into self-banishment mode for several weeks. So why oh why oh why would I ever want to attempt this crazy Thursday blog hop nonsense ever again? Have I gone bonkers? Am I losing my senses? Well Blogger, I’m willing to let bygones be bygones if YOU are…


So without further ado, here I am participating in this weeks Booking Through Thursday! The question:

“All things being equal (money, space, etc), would you rather own copies of the books you read? Or borrow them?”
Okaaaaayyyy. Well. I am a very very active member of the Chicago Public Library. It is not often that I do not have a book (or three!) on hold. Right now I have two CPL books at home on my coffee table (that reminds me, I need to return them before Monday). However, the main reason for this is because I am broke. Yup, I’ve said it many times before on this blog and I’ll say it again: money, she is tight. So I borrow books whenever I can. I steal borrow them from my parents. Would I prefer to own all my books? OF COURSE!! Well, the ones I actually like anyway (if they stink I prefer if they never grace my bookshelves again). But that would be fiscally irresponsible. And I’m Jewish, that’s just not our way. However I did go on a book buying splurge last Friday. Whoops! Sssh, don’t tell anyone…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to the library in quite a while. I do prefer to own my books, but I buy them for pennies on the dollar. Usually at thrift stores, sometimes at library sales. I have been receiving a lot of books to review so that's saved me some money, but there are a few books that I'm dying to read and I'm just going to have to buy them (even though I shouldn't.)

FBT said...

Ah, the library - I'm there at least twice a week. One of the best things about it is that if there's a book that they don't have, I can ask them to order it (which has been a life saver since I'm in Sweden at the moment and they don't really have that many non-classic english books). I love second hand book stores, but again, being in Sweden they don't usually have that many English books.

Sidne said...

lol you are funny. Chicago, my kinda town, chicago is!! no really, its my hometown too. Happy reading girly

Audra said...

I love my library, and Boston/Cambridge has an astounding library system. (They even loan ebooks!) If I had my druthers, I like to own, but after my most recent move, I have to confess, spending all that money for movers to heft my books around seemed less and less worth it. My tried and true, oft-underlined and highlighted, must reread beloveds I want to own, but the rest I think I can borrow.

Shirley said...

It's safe...it's June now! Thank goodness for libraries!

Thanks for visiting My Bookshelf

Sally said...

I’m a big re-reader so I like to own my books.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-21.html

Kat @ NoPageLeftBehind said...

I try to be on a strict library-book diet...but I inevitably stray once in awhile :)

Sarah said...

I'm broke too lately! I'm definitely an "owner", I love buying books. I hit up used book sales whenever I can, and I can usually buy a book I'm waiting for if I used a Borders coupon. I also get a few books from the library every week, more so lately what with being all broke.

Luckily, my previous crazy book-buying fits are keeping me busy - I own like 800 books and haven't even read half, so I'm tackling those right now :)