Monday, June 20, 2011

30 Harshest Author-On-Author Insults

Hahahaha! I cannot contain my laughter as I read through this really hilarious collection on Flavorwire of 30 great author-on-author insults. It’s simply fantastic and I had to share it with you all. As Emily Temple states, authors nowadays simply “don’t insult each other like they used to.” With such elegance and creativity behind their words, it’s like it used to be a sport!
Please take a little bit of time to click through this article and find some good ol’ insults. Let me point out two of my favorites:

William Faulkner on Ernest Hemingway: “He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.”

Truman Capote on Jack Kerouac: “That’s not writing, that’s typing.”

So enjoy my precious followers! And pass it on :)

7 comments:

sawcat said...

I rather like:
Oscar Wilde on Alexander Pope

“There are two ways of disliking poetry; one way is to dislike it, the other is to read Pope.”

I rather like Stephen King's comments on Stephanie Meyer's writing, but she doesn't include or mention those

llevinso said...

I liked that one a lot too. I almost highlighted it.

I haven’t heard what Stephen King has said about Meyer but I’m sure I’d agree! ;) Can you point me to a link or give me the gist?

sawcat said...

Here's the link to the original excerpts from the print article: http://whosnews.usaweekend.com/2009/02/exclusive-stephen-king-on-jk-rowling-stephenie-meyer/

He also mentioned some other writers, but never saw that in the version of the article I had seen originally.

Miss Good on Paper said...

I love Flavorwire and enjoyed this article, too. They always post such unique articles (funny, too).

Thanks for sharing this!

-Miss GOP
www.thewritingapprentice.com

llevinso said...

@Sarah, thanks so much! I totally agree with King and I actually don’t think he was being too insulting. He was basically saying you don’t need to be Dickens to be a popular author and it’s true. There’s a niche for everyone.

@Miss Good, Agreed. I very much enjoy Flavorwire’s stuff!

Unknown said...

Mark Twain on Jane Austen (1898)
OK - I admit, I love Twain and seriously dislike Jane Austen and so I love what he had to say about her.

“I haven’t any right to criticize books, and I don’t do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can’t conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read ‘Pride and Prejudice,’ I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”

llevinso said...

@Dana, I love Austen and am not too fond of Twain but even still I thought what he said was amusing. But one has to ask, if he disliked Austen’s work so much, why did he keep reading Pride & Prejudice?