Happy Blogoversary The Broke and The Bookish! If you all don’t know about this blog and this great weekly meme, Top Ten Tuesday, you should hop over there now and check it out. As part of their one-year blogoversary they’re doing some special posts and also hosting a great couple giveaways (I entered and so should you!).
This week’s Top Ten is something I think we can all relate to: Top Ten Reasons We Love Book Blogging!
1. The people I’ve “met.” The book blogging community is serious awesome sauce (that’s a term I notice I’ve been using a lot lately). We’re all so nice and supportive of each other. And we’re just fun! It’s great to have people to talk to all the time about my great love: books! We talk via comments on each other’s blogs, Twitter, Shelfari, Goodreads. It’s just wonderful :)
2. I read more. I mean okay, I was always a reader. But now thanks to this blogging business I’m reading even more. A day without reading is like…well I don’t know what it’s like because I don’t do it.
3. It’s created an outlet for me from my horrible job. I’ve said it on here before and I’ll say it again: I do not like my job. Not even a little bit. But she pays the bills. However I do love books and talking about books so blogging about them seemed like a natural step. And this blog and helped pass the time or clam me down when my job has been slow or super stressful. Super super helpful in those regards.
4. It has made me realize possibly what I want to do with my life. That would be something with books of course! Now, I haven’t narrowed this down entirely but I’m thinking something in the publishing industry. I just don’t really know how to get into that field. Like what do I need to go back to school for? English? Journalism? But I’m excited at the possibilities.
5. All the cool things I’ve learned! Being in this great book blogging community, you learn things, like interesting news tidbits and what have you, that you otherwise would probably never hear about. When I’m on Twitter all my friends post these great links to these great articles or giveaways or I’ll learn that one of my favorite authors has a new book coming out and I didn’t even know about it. I’m so connected now. I’m just super awesome.
6. Surveys, lists and memes! I know it sounds silly, but I think these things are really fun. Am I a huge dork? Probably. But I seriously love taking surveys and analyzing lists and participating in interesting memes. When I see a new list out I cannot help but get excited thinking about how I can input it into my blog and make it fun for my followers.
7. It’s helped with my writing. I love to write but a few years ago I kind of just stopped. Very serious case of writer’s block. But because of the blog I’m obviously back into it. Most of my actual writing is very serious in tone (so not like my blog at all) but at least with my sarcastic funny blog I’m exercising my creative energies again. And with that comes the other writing.
8. Reviews, reviews, reviews! I love reviewing books and I thought my reviews were pretty good when I started this whole blogging thing. Boy, I don’t even like looking back at the first few I did. Now I like to think mine are much more complex and just, well, better (and hopefully that growth will just continue). And I love writing a review and getting a comment from a follower that says how much they appreciated the time I put into reviewing this book and how it maybe helped them decide whether or not to read it. Also I get to read reviews on other blogs that really help ME seal the deal on a book that I maybe wasn't too sure about. Because I really trust my blogging buddies. That’s what it’s all about people!
9. My precious followers. Yup, I’m sentimental when it comes down to it. I just love you guys! It really does make me feel special when I get comments and shout-outs and whatnot. I never thought when I started this blog a mere five months ago that I’d even HAVE this many followers. You’re all awesome!
10. Um, I just love books. That’s obvious right? Any excuse to talk my butt off about books is alright with me. Books books books. And while I AM getting more people in my real life interested in the world of literature (they’re bending to my will), I think they’d be bored to tears if I talked to them about books as much as I talked to y’all about all stuff literary. As I said in my post about my overflowing TBR pile on Thursday last week, I’m simply an addict when it comes to books. And I’m okay with it!