Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review for You - Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey
5 stars
Do you ever have that problem when you like a book so much that it becomes hard to talk about? Therein lies the dilemma I face with Bossypants. I know my reviews normally follow a specific pattern: first half I summarize; second half I give my response and analysis. Well, this isn’t going to work for this book because well, it’s just a different book. My whole response to this book was emotional and I loved it.

I guess you could call Bossypants a memoir. Most of it is about Tina Fey’s life. Her early childhood all the way through her rise to tv stardom. But it’s so much more. Yes, she talks about her family and her time working at the YMCA in Evanston (hey, that’s my hometown!) and her interviewing for the writing job at Saturday Night Live, but she also has a whole chapter where she addresses random internet comments that say negative things about her in a lovely sarcastic humor that just rolled right off the page.  Then she has a chapter where she basically creates a list of things she wants to tell her daughter. Funny yet sincere and heartfelt. Oh and I can’t forget the chapter where she finds out all the possible things about her body that can be “incorrect” and she lists them off. So you see, this book doesn’t follow the normal bookish patterns.

I knew before buying this book the Tina Fey was a feminist but I was not expecting this book to be SO feminist, if that makes any sense. It was enlightening to say the least. It was infused in almost every chapter. She hits on topics such as breastfeeding, being a woman in show business, dating and more. And by adding some light (and sometimes not so light) humor in at times it really makes for a well-balanced book instead of just feeling like you’re being force fed someone’s political agenda (which even if you agree with their point of view can get annoying).

Honestly, I had no intention of buying this book. I had heard the reviews and everyone had written about how funny it was but I tend to shy away from bestsellers. As much as I love Tina Fey I figured I’d probably borrow it from the library a few years down the line, once the hype died down. However, the book kept calling to me. All the other bloggers seemed to be reading it so I grabbed it. And I’m so glad I picked it up. It was so much more than just a funny book. So so much more.

As I said, this is a hard review to write. I’m sure I haven’t really given you all much to go on other than me gushing over how feminist the book was and how I loved it, but trust me, it’s a good one. I never spend more than $10 on a book and I bought this hardcover in the airport at full price ($26!!) and I don’t regret it at all. I guess to sum up I’ll just leave you with some humorous quotes:

In response to one of her internet “fans” who commented that she was an “ugly, pear-shaped, bitchy, overrated troll:”

“I hate for our correspondence to be confrontational, but you have offended me deeply. To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
In the chapter The Mother’s Prayer for Its Daughter:

“O Lord, break the Internet forever,
That she may be spared the misspelled invective of
her peers
And the online marketing campaign for Rape Hostel
V: Girls Just Wanna Get Stabbed.”
And from that same chapter:

“And when one day she turns on me and calls me a
Bitch in front of Hollister,
Give me the strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a
cab in front of her friends,
For I will not have that Shit. I will not have it.”

6 comments:

Red said...

Glad you liked this! It is hard to write a non-gushing review of this one. I didn't expect Fey to be so feminist-y either and was so happy that it's injected into every chapter without, as you said, sounding preachy.

Miss Good on Paper said...

I feel the same way about this book! I tried I to write a review last week, as well, and ended up just writing about how rare it is to fall in love with a book anymore. I also have a girl crush on Tina Fey. =)

Thanks!

-Miss GOP
www.thewritingapprentice.com

llevinso said...

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one that had trouble writing a review of this one. I hope the "review" was at least a little helpful to those who haven't yet read it :)

Audra said...

I'm glad she was out and proud with her feminist-y-ness, which I was apprehensive would get watered down! Your enthusiasm for this actually has me looking for it -- I never read celebrity memoirs but it sounds like it's much meatier than that!

Sarah said...

LOL I forgot about the prayer at the end. Hilariousness.

It is hard to write a review of Bossypants cause it's so awesome and there were just SO many good things about it. Glad you read it and liked it!

Blog27999 said...

If you're attempting to lose weight then you absolutely have to start using this totally brand new custom keto meal plan diet.

To design this keto diet service, licenced nutritionists, fitness trainers, and chefs joined together to develop keto meal plans that are powerful, convenient, money-efficient, and satisfying.

Since their grand opening in January 2019, 1000's of individuals have already remodeled their figure and health with the benefits a good keto meal plan diet can provide.

Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-tested ones provided by the keto meal plan diet.