Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bechdel Test...Wednesday?

Ugh, the procrastinator in me just can't seem to post my meme on the right day! But at least it's happening :) That's right, the Bechdel Test is back in action people! For more info just check out this handy dandy link.

Last time around Little Women passed the test with flying colors (which was none too surprising). This week I decided to test my most recently finished book since it's still fresh in my mind. It's another Kazuo Ishiguro, and he's played this game before. His book Never Let Me Go passed the test back in March. Can he go 2 for 2? Let's find out!

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
1. Does it have at least 2 women in it?
Yes it does. But really only one MAIN character that's a woman.
2. Do they talk to each other?
Boo. No. Ishiguro implies conversation between two of them, but that's all you get...
Whomp whomp. Can't win em all I guess. It's still a marvelous book though. My review is coming soon, after my review that I'm still lagging behind on (The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells).

Until next time :)

3 comments:

Red said...

It's always so depressing to see a book fail this, considering how easy it should be to pass. I don't think every book out there should have to pass but the number that do is so low...

bookspersonally said...

I love this meme, and I do often consider it now when I read! I suspect though that a lot of books I truly love would fail.

Deborah Lawrenson said...

Maybe it shows there no such thing as a formula! It is a lovely book, but I enjoyed his Nocturnes more: three long stories with a musical theme.

And even more impressive, this: did you know that Ishiguro has been writing songs with Stacey Kent, the jazz singer? She's fab too.