Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bechdel Test Tuesday!


Here we go again…it’s Bechdel Test Tuesday! Who’s excited (all of you I know!)? I’ve gotten a bunch of new followers in the last week thanks to an awesome blog hop I participated in so if you’re unfamiliar with my really cool weekly meme than here’s a quick overview of what the Bechdel Test is all about. The twist is that I use this for books (oooo...ahhhh...)

Last week that wonderful bard (Shakespeare) was unfortunately given a failing grade for his play, Othello (my review will be up tomorrow). What’s going to happen this week? It’s anyone’s guess! Get ready for it…

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
1. Does it have at least 2 women in it?
Well yes. I think maybe 3 or 4. Definitely more than 2 though.
2. Do they talk to each other?
Arg. Yes. But not much. I think there is like one “scene” where a couple women talk during Guy Montag’s (the protagonist) semi-freak-out at his house.
3. About something besides a man?
Yes. But again, it’s very brief. They do talk about a man (the protagonist) but also other things. But I wouldn’t say this is a great shining example of passing this test.
Yeah, so not an A+ or anything, but not failing either. It’s nice to mix it up a bit I think anyway.

Come back next time for another nail-biting installment of Bechdel Test Tuesday! And if you have any suggestions for future titles to be featured, please leave them in the comments :)

No comments: