Friday, July 1, 2011

June Reading Round Up

Every month over at What Red Read, my friend, Red, does a monthly “reading wrap-up” where she kind of shows the stats of what she has read for that month. I’ve always thought this was pretty cool and I’ve kept saying again and again “I should do this” but I’ve never ACTUALLY done it. Well heck, I’m doing it this month! Yay me!

Unfortunately I picked one of my slowest reading months to actually kick things off but oh well. Here goes nothing…

# of Books Read:
3 (sheesh!)
The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Total # of Pages Read:
1,053 (okay that’s better)

% of Fiction Read:
100% (oops)

% of Female Authors:
33.3%

% of White Authors:
66.6% (the female author was also African American)

% of U.S. Authors:
66.6% (with one British dude in the mix)

% of E-Books:
0! (more on this later)

Books by the Decade:
2000s: 1
1980s: 1
1950s: 1

Well, if I had been keeping track of this stuff all along I could tell you that this was an off month. For one, I know I usually read books way older than just the 1950s, and more than a total of 3 books in one month (I mean really, 3?!?!). Actually, all month long I’ve been trying to get through The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton but it’s been slow going. Not that I don’t like it, just that it’s one of those slow-reader books. I’m over halfway done. And I’m over halfway done with King Lear as well. But I SHOULD have finished Wharton by now.

So, if I had, my numbers probably would’ve looked a lot more like my normal months. I’d have had 50% for female authors, one e-book in there, a book written in the 1900s decade and a whole lot more pages (though Kindle only tells me the percentage I’ve completed so I’m not really sure what that would be…I’m at about 60% right now so I think the normal book is around 480 pages so that’s…288 pages I’ve read so far…what’s with all this math I’ve been doing lately!).

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my monthly wrap-up. Thanks Red for inspiring me to finally do this. I’m going to TRY and make it a monthly thing, but don’t hold me to that :)

6 comments:

Red said...

I'm so happy you decided to do these readings stats as well! Hopefully you'll keep them up in the next months. Especially to compare next month to your June off-month. Are you going to try for more (some) non-fiction next month?

Teacher/Learner said...

Oddly enough, June wasn't as fruitful a reading month as I thought it would be for myself either. Looking forward to your reviews :)

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

I like the stats that you do--I've been thinking of adding those to my monthly "last month in review" posts.

There's a definite death of mirth in The House of Mirth. I read it for grad school many, many years ago, but I do recall actually liking it--deinitely more than The Age of Innocence and the one whose name eludes me but whose heroine was called Undine Spragg. Who could possibly like a character named Undine?

B said...

Yay monthly reading wrap-ups! I did my first one at the end of 2010 as a year in review and liked it so much I decided to do it monthly.

I really liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Leigh Ann said...

I've never thought of doing this, I should try it! :)I found you on Book Blogs and I am now your newest follower! I hope you have a Wednesday and that you'll stop by for a visit sometime when you get the chance. :)
Leigh Ann
MaMa's Book Corner


Blogger said...

Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

Over 160,000 women and men are using a simple and SECRET "liquid hack" to lose 2 lbs each and every night in their sleep.

It is scientific and it works on anybody.

Here's how to do it yourself:

1) Get a glass and fill it with water half full

2) Now do this awesome HACK

and become 2 lbs skinnier as soon as tomorrow!