Sunday, March 13, 2011

My $80 Shopping Spree

My internet has been really hit and miss lately (boo) so posting has been a bit difficult. But I'll try and persevere!


So, have you ever found yourself with nothing much to do and started daydreaming? Daydreaming about books? Well, as part of this weekend's blogger hop hosted by Crazy for Books we were asked:
"If I gave you $80 and sent you into a bookshop right now, what would be in your basket when you finally staggered to the till?"
Excellent question! And one I think about all too often (which is not good since I do not have $80 just lying around to go spend on books).


Well, the way I usually like to operate when I'm in a bookstore and on a binge is to spread the wealth. What I mean is that I like to get different books from different genres in my TBR. And then I always end by picking out one book that wasn't on my TBR at all but that just caught my attention that day, like a surprise pick. So with that in mind, here's my list:


50 Great Short Stories edited by Milton Crane (I'm in desperate need of a compellation of classic short stories and this one has a ton of good ones!)
Blindness by Jose Saramago (good fiction but not a classic to put in there)
Life and Death in the Third Reich by Peter Fritzsche (for my history selection)
Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela (memoir I've wanted to read for a long time)
Shake the Devil Off: A True Story of the Murder that Rocked New Orleans by Ethan Brown (for my true crime pick)


And then I'd pick the one new book that randomly caught my attention in the store and possibly a cheap vegetarian cookbook (love those!) depending on how much money I had left over. $80 might sound like a lot of money but boy oh boy can it go quickly when you're in a bookstore. The other weekend when I went to the Borders that's closing by me and bought a bunch of books, I spent around $60, and those were with reduced prices.


What would you all buy with $80 in a bookstore?

5 comments:

Deborah Lawrenson said...

I'd been wondering where you were! It might be something to do with your computer difficulties, but this is the first post that's been picked up all week on my Google Friend follower thing on the dashboard (obviously not the highly technical term for it...) but I'm sure you understand what I mean.

My fave trips to the bookstores are before driving out to France, when there's a car boot (trunk?) involved. We have been known to take more books than clothes!

Really do hope you feel better soon.

llevinso said...

That's weird because I've posted every day except yesterday...?

Christie said...

"$80 might sound like a lot of money but boy oh boy can it go quickly when you're in a bookstore"

UGH, *this*! And then you wonder where a good chunk of your week's paycheque went... oh right, books again!

Laurie said...

Your titles are all new to me (a feat!). I'm looking forward to your reviews of these books so I can winnow down your shopping spree selections to just one book for me.
I've got way too many TBRs as it is, but the abundance of books is bracing!

llevinso said...

@Christie, I know right?! I personally try to never spend over $10 per book, but sometimes a more expensive one is just calling my name...

@Laurie, well these are all books I don't ACTUALLY own yet so you might have to wait a while for my reviews ;) But later this week you will be getting my review of Tess of the d'Urbervilles, so hold your breath for that one!